A water leak may be easy to disregard especially if it is just a really minor drip in a faucet. It is even harder to detect when it happens in the basement, the attic, or a crawlspace which are places that are not usually frequented in a home.
This does not mean though that a homeowner can just leave the situation like that, and just wait for a convenient time to get the leak fixed.
There are a host of reasons why a water leak must be fixed immediately. Here are some:
- Water leaks bloat up utility bills. Arlingtonva.us says drips and leaks can cause an increase of a hundred to a thousand dollars per year. “A single faucet that drips just once every second wastes 8.6 gallons per day, or almost 800 gallons per quarter.” Read the published article here.
- Water leaks can cause accidents. Water causes floors to become slippery and if a person does not notice dripping water, he may slip and injure himself. This is even more dangerous for homes with young children or older residents.
- Water leaks can cause water damage. Water damage is one of the most damaging effects of a water leak, hence it should be fixed immediately. It is a gateway of even bigger problems like structural damage, mold growth, and damage on furniture and fixtures. Water damage restoration San Diego
- Water leaks can be a cause for electrical shocks. Electrical shocks happen when there is a source of water near home fixtures. Addressing leaks immediately can help prevent these very disastrous accidents.
- Water leaks can be a source of vector diseases. When leaks pool it is possible that mosquitoes carrying diseases like Dengue, Zika, Malaria and the like may lay eggs in that water and eventually cause illnesses within the home.
It is important to commission a professional plumbing contractor when having a leak fixed in the home. When bills sky rocket without a change in utility usage then it is possible that there is a leak or a drip in the home. Licensed plumbers can detect leakages easily, and fix it right away.
Wikihow.com shared some ways to detect a leak in the home. “Recognize that in many cases a leak can be very hard to locate. Not all of the leaks outlined in this article can be located and if you’re not used to plumbing positioning, you may miss something easily. All the same, if you try these steps, you should be able to find an approximate location and this is a most valuable exercise in itself because it will help the plumber (many plumbers do not like searching for a problem so anything you can do they will appreciate), making it time saving for the plumber and that translates into savings for you.” Read the whole article that they published here.
It is indeed very important to fix water leaks immediately.